Freephone: 0800 206 2200
Buckinghamshire: 01494 619 955
Berkshire: 01753 719 777
London: 0208 945 3990

Need a kerb dropped?

Devonshire and Son are licensed street work contractors which means we are authorised to carry out highway works such as dropping your kerb. You are required to obtain planning permission from your local authority before these works can be undertaken. Please call us for helpful advice on 01753 719 777

A dropped kerb allows vehicles to cross the pavement from the road to a driveway – provide a service where you can enter your postcode to find information about how to apply to your local council.

Click the link to get started:

Dropped Kerbs: What you need to know

Dropped kerbs are required by law to create new off-street parking for your home.

Dropped kerbs aren't just convenient to get your car onto the driveway, it is a legal requirement if you're creating new off-street parking. This is so that pedestrians and pavement infrastructure are protected.

Legally you can only drive over a pavement from the road onto your property if you have a dropped kerb.

Do I need Planning Permission?

If the kerb is on a public highway, you will need to apply for a licence from your local authority. You may also need planning permission, this can depend on several factors, such as:

  • The area where you live
  • What type of road it is on
  • If it’s in a conservation area
  • How much you need to raise or lower the level

Applying for a Dropped Kerb

There is some paperwork involved. You will need to produce drawings and accurate measurements as well as ensuring that there is enough room for a regular sized vehicle so that it does not overhang the footway. In most cases a minimum depth of around 5 metres and width of 2.5 metres will be required.

You may wish to use the services of a planning consultant who can help you through the process.

The Devonshire Group are licensed Street Work Contractors. Our staff are fully accredited to do the work and we hold the required public liability insurance.

When the licence application forms have been completed and submitted, the highway authority will carry out a site safety assessment. All being well, they will provide the construction specification that we need to build to. The work is usually required to be completed within 6 months.